Outfielders - 'The Last Line of Defense'
- What is the situation, who is the hitter?
- Look to the dugout for positioning every hitter.
- Where is the sun, or lights, fence?
- Keep the double play in order.
- Throw to the lead base.
- HIT THE CUT OFF MAN!
- Move feet every pitch - don't be a pigeons target.
- Anytime a line drive is hit at you - get sideways fast.
- Play through fly balls.
- Take the quickest route to the ball (hit , route, catch).
- Communicate early and often.
- Call ball on the way down - I GOT IT, YOU, YOU (not ball, ball)
- Centerfielder take charge - field general.
- 4 seam grip when possible, throw over the top, thumb under the ball.
- Always point shoulder, hip, knee at your target.
- Never take more than 2 1/2 steps to get rid of the ball.
- Anytime you misstep the runner gains 3 steps (6ft).
- Do not short hop your basemen, one hop or all the way (learn how)
- Know when to dive and when to keep the ball in front of you.
- Backup every play somewhere, think 1 throw ahead.
- Hit the cutoff man.
- Back up, back up, back up.